the lost and found bag




Miguel.

He never forgets that day when I accidentally  brought his water bottle to work. And every now and then he reminds me not to do that again. Having his water bottle with him to school meant so much to him. 

Can you imagine how he felt when he lost his bag?  He left it in the bus. Okay, I'm the Mom here I should be the one looking after my 4 year old guy and his bag. But it happened. I'm so used to the fact that he  takes charge of his precious little blue school bag every day when we go to school...

He cried and cried like it was the only thing in the world for him. It was painful to look at. As parent it is painful to see your child in so much pain, coming to terms with a loss.  I remember my first experience of losing something. A wallet. It was awful. So I was in panic seeing him shout "My bag! Mommy my bag!" while seeing the bus drive away. I literally ran after the bus for a few seconds, not for the bag because it was just a bag but because of my son feeling so bad about it. Until I realized, this could be a blessing in disguise. 

So I tried to keep him calm. We sat down. I wiped his tears, I made a phone call, and we talked...

Me: Baby, we lost your bag and Mommy is sad. We can pray to Papa Jesus. He will help us, Okay? 
Miguel: Okay. *still crying* 
Me: We will wait for the bus and ask Uncle driver if he found it. If not, Daddy will buy a new bag for you.
Miguel: But I want my blue bag. It has Miguel on it. 
Me: We will make a new name tag for your new bag. A nice name tag with lots of stickers. 
Miguel: *silent* 
Me: If we can't find it, it means another kid will find it (thinking maybe lost and unclaimed stuffs go  to Salvation Army or something)  and maybe that kid has got no bag so he will be happy to find your bag. Is that okay with you?
Miguel: *silent and no more tears*
Me: So let's wait...
Miguel: Let's wait for the bus TIB1184 and it has a D. 

The bus came.... with plate no. TIB1184D and we found the bag! We said thank you to the driver and went back to his school continuing our conversation...

Miguel: I found my bag! Uncle gave me my bag! *so very happy*
Mommy: So we can thank Papa Jesus now for helping us find your bag, for the honest person who handed the bag to the driver, and the kind and helpful driver who taught us what to do.
Miguel: *making sign of the cross* Papa Jesus, thank you for helping me find my bag!





I love that moment at the bus stop. Miguel learned the values of trusting God, of acceptance, of being kind to the needy, of praying for help and praying for thanksgiving. And as a bonus, he experienced the joy of finding something that was still meant to be his. 

And I also learned something. It spoke to me about letting go, of detaching from the things of this world... I haven't been scrapping much lately because I realized it has become my "idol" I was becoming too attached to it that I don't have time for the simple but important things anymore... It made me think of letting go of some ambitions which I believe won't matter anymore someday when I'm old and gray... when I die. The things that will matter most is not the fame, or how many  nice papers or stamps and dies I have, or how many DT stints I had... the thing that will matter the most is whether I am happy... happy not because I have all the things I want and need but because I know how to accept it when I don't have everything....and most importantly, if the people around me are happy with me. 

So I am grateful for that precious little blue school bag... lost or found. 


No comments:

AddThis